Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rob_peace

Radio boy...

rob_peace
20 years ago

i remember listening, several years ago, to one of those weekend gardening shows on the radio. i was working outside installing some micro-irrigation for violets. the studio guest, an american, was in aust. for the international rhododendron society's annual conference. he spoke about some ground breaking genetic stuff relating to vireya rhododendrons, as i recall. not my bag, but authoritative and well presented. the lines were then opened for questions the guest might field. first caller: i have a big rhoddie in front of a window. would it be ok to prune it to ground level with a chain saw? second caller: i have a lemon tree which doesnt bear any fruit. any suggstions? i was in fits of laughter and vowed never to get caught in such a situation.

last weekend i was asked to do a guest spot on the same show, now with new hosts. the topic being violets. we had a little 3-way chat and i was able to give some basic information about the genus, the associated lore, and violets as garden plants. i thought it went rather well! one of my mates said it came over very well and that i had a good voice for radio. (perhaps he meant good face for radio!)

now, i had told the rhododendron story to the hosts while we were off line.....well, they were in fits about my two callers. caller one asked about a violet which was only flowering on one side.....mmm, 'would that be an african violet?" i asked...."yes" ok. we sorted her out....

second caller: i have violets taking over a bed of roses. how can i erradicate them?

take care, violet friends,

rob...

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!