Return to the Violet Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Some reading to enjoy...

Posted by StefanB8 z7 DC (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 23, 05 at 19:52

I found by chance while searching the web, an online text through the Project Gutenberg; it is John Ruskin's Proserpina, Volume 2, Studies Of Wayside Flowers. In it you will find that the first chapter is a lengthy and delightful exploration of the violet. I hope you all find it as pleasurable as I did!

And here is the link:
http://www.gutenberg.org/files/15088/15088.txt

Stefan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Some reading to enjoy...

• Posted by etii France 8 (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 24, 05 at 1:43

I realize I'll never be able to read such a long text in English (headache is coming !!LOL)
Should I try later ? ;-)

.............\\://
..........(@ @)
--o00---(_)---00o--
Thierry.

o

thanks, stefan....
a very interesting read!
thierry? dont worry! that text is in very convoluted mid-19th century english. it takes concentration and patience to read. it's rather like a roccoco painting...lots of decorative twists.
thanks again stefan!
rob...

o

You're most welcome, Rob! And Thierry, maybe you could try some translation website to help - unless the English to French turn out as much garbage as the French to English translators do ;-) Anyway, I hope you do continue reading!

Stefan

o

..thanks Stefan..Of course I couldn't read all the stuff!! lol!! ...but to what I understood..no mention of parmas of any double sweet violets isn't it? Regarding to the date (1888) it could be interesting to have any tracks for old cultivars...Could you or Rob enlight me on this point pleeeaase? ;-))

o

Right Nathalie, he seems to have been primarily interested in those violets which were found growing wild in England at the time. It is really too bad that he couldn't slip in a bit about the cultivated violets of the day, because certainly that was a good era for them! Even if he held them in disdain... but surely there are other sources that will turn up with mentions of such things. We will find them, eventually, I think :-)

Stefan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Violet Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here