Return to the Violet Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
sororia 'emperor' ?

Posted by etii France 8 (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 1, 05 at 4:34

Hi folks !

I've just bought a bunch of seeds (a murcan online shop).
Some are called: viola sororia "emperor blue vein", sororia "emperor white", viola sororia "emperor magenta red".
Has someone heard about that so called "emperor" ? Just wonder if they are not in fact, viola sororia, viola sororia alba and sororia rubra...eat at joe's lol !
If you have some informations before I plant them, U'll be welcome :-)
Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: sororia 'emperor' ?

I have not seen these Emperors in the flesh, but I suspect the 'Emperor' part may be a trade name or trade mark; that is 'Emperor' signifies a company producing such plants, of already-known cultivars.

Things get a bit woolly here, depending on whether the trade name is registered or not, which may influence whether it should be included in the single quotes or not.

I won't go into detail, but consider the following - an excerpt from the FAQ at http://www.ipaustralia.gov.au/pbr/faq.shtml:

"Can the name of my variety be, or include as part of the name, a trade mark registered under the Trade Marks Act 1995?
No. A trade mark cannot be, or be part of, the variety name. However, it is possible to use a trade mark in conjunction with a variety name, with the variety name having equal prominence. For example, it might be decided to market a range of varieties under the trade mark Elle. So that one might have Elle ‘Celebration’, Elle ‘Anniversary’ or Elle ‘Applause’.
If a commercial name is registered as a trade mark it cannot be used as a variety name. If a plant is marketed under a trade mark without PBR protection, a purchaser may produce from the plant freely and sell the product provided they don’t use the trade mark."

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Violet Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here