Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carol_mi

icicle pansies from seed?

carol_mi
20 years ago

I'd like to try growing icicle pansies from seed because I can't see buying them every year to replace worn out annuals in my flower box in late summer. Has anyone done this? I'm mainly wondering how to time the sowing so that they'll be ready by late August/early September.

Comments (2)

• Vicki_J
    20 years ago

I doubt that you can find seeds for icicle pansies, they are hybrids marketed by Fernlea, a big corporation out of Canada. However, you can find seed for very similar pansies and violas from places like Thompson and Morgan, Burpee, Parks, etc. The only slightly tricky part of germinating the seed will be keeping the medium cool if it's a hot June and July. That's when I would start them here in Northern NJ where I'm zone 6A.
    Let us know how it goes.
    vicki

• dmi188
    20 years ago

I cut mine back hard in late May/early June, after they had dropped many seed. Planted other things in the bed, but left the plants, and hoardes of seedlings. Now I am getting ready to pull the summer plants. The old plants are blooming again, and some of the seedlings are starting to bloom. I have enough seedlings for a very large area, not just the small bed they started in!!

Sponsored