Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
etii

red pod from my hybrid !

etii
16 years ago

Hello here !

I've just got a pod from my hybrid odorata alba X sororia albiflora: gorgeous :-))) Would you have guessed that a violet could make a strawberry ? ;op

Have a look:

That pod is definitively a surprise, I was not expecting F3...I'm a newbie with hybrids so I just don't know when it will end. Should I wait until F100 ? ;o) God, I'm a little bit frightened :-/

And by the way, I've just finished a personnal site about violets, sorry if you don't speak French :oP

All the best - Thierry :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: http://violets.free.fr/

Comments (3)

• membertom
    16 years ago

Thierry,
    That's great! [both the violet and the website]
    And I'm enjoying your website even though I don't understand French. I'm just going back and forth, using Babelfish website to translate blocks of your text (from French to English) -- not perfect translation, but good enough to get an idea what your saying.
    So about your hybrid... I'm guessing the pod is from cleistogamous flower??? I'm curious since I've never grown any hybrids of this type, but surely want to... are there many obvious traits already that show from the father (sororia). Or will you have to wait until true flower (chasmogamous) to confirm the parentage. From the picture, it looks like the pod is not as globose as odorata, but more elongated like sororia?? So maybe that's a good indication of its hybridity??
    Very nice work. I can hardly wait to see pictures of it next Spring. Thanks for sharing the news.
    Oh and be sure to remember to enter your new hybrid in the next international contest. I'm sure Nathalie will give us details when it is approaching. All of the new violets that are entered in the contest, automatically get registered (for no additional cost) into the international registry. The registrar (that's me) is otherwise supposed to charge $10 (U.S.) for each violet registered -- although honestly we've never yet collected those fees ;0) but might in the future.
    Good luck with your violets, Tom

• etii
    Original Author
    16 years ago

YoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOo !

That's it: the pod is fom a cleistogamous bloom. I was expecting a flower 'cause of some showing off petals (du-b sh-t, it's gonna make a flower however I'll not be here to see it !!!!!!!), but when I came back monday from Dominican Republic, I discovered a pod: same form from sororia but same color from odorata, funny mixture in fact :-) Moreover red is a delicious color for a fruit :-)
    That pod also mean I'll probably get a F3 generation...never ending story...I've never found anything written about such hybrids ('Governor Herrick', 'Mrs Pinehurst' and so on). It's really a pity no one decided to say anything: it doesn't help. I guess creators did prefer to keep their secrets: stupid n selfish attitude :-/

About a registration...still have some work and some others things on the way, but YES, I will :-) 10 boxes ?! If euro is still becoming stronger (going up, going up !), I'll have it for free ;oP

All the best :-) And thanks Tom for your interest and encouragement :-)
    Thierry :-)

• membertom
    16 years ago

Hello Thierry,
    I'll bet you enjoyed your trip to the Dominican Republic. My wife and I were married there in 2004, and loved it. We talk about going back again for a vacation, but that'll probably be far into the future.
    I've always just assumed that "Governor Herrick" and "Mrs. Pinehurst" were sterile... the violets that is, not the people ;0)... but it'll sure be very interesting to see if your hybrid does make advanced generations.

Has anyone ever gotten seeds from these hybrid types before??? I've never grown any of them to know.

You mentioned "... and some other things on the way"
    I look forward to seeing them. It's good to know that there are other people out there hybridizing these little underappreciated flowers.

Best wishes, Tom