Return to the Violet Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
viola riviniana variegated :-)

Posted by etii France 8 (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 31, 05 at 5:26

Hi !

Since last summer (a few month ago) my riviniana variegated is taking care of 2 little babies -I'm not sure about the 2 others, have to wait until I can see the variegated leaves- :-) The foliage is having a better look (remember the last photo I had posted) more green: I suppose is not hot enought hot for the virus but hot enought for the viola.
There's definitively a link between temperatures and virus activity :-) Have you observed the same ?

All the best :-)
Thierry.

Image link: viola riviniana variegated :-) (53 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: viola riviniana variegated :-)

I have found variegated V. riviniana several times, usually self-sown beneath variegated plants (Vina minor or Sambucus nigra), but the variegation is usally not very good (not as good as Natha's in http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/violet/msg080452544219.html). But I have not thought there might be any effect of temperature on virus virility, but would be interested to hear if you find some evidence to support your hypothesis.

o

Interesting - not virus virility, but rather a virus' ability to spread fully into the youngest meristematic tissue, is known to be affected by surplus heat. This is the basis for heat-treatment to eliminate viruses from plant stocks, although it is certainly not 100% and plenty of cases exist where the virus has made a slow return to previously "cleaned" stock. I have not heard of viruses being prevented by cold, but there is always that possibility. More reading to be done ;-)

Stefan

o

• Posted by etii France 8 (My Page) on
    Wed, Nov 2, 05 at 19:16

You're right Stefan. Denis gave me a link to a very interesting article talking about heat-treatment on virus in plants: sorry, it's in French ;-) for once lol.
I pray the one I don't believe in (God) not to see my viola cured ! I'm sure it can't anyway: Nat' has a green house where it's very hot during summer (more than 40)and her riviniana is still variegated.
Mike, I'll never find any evidence, I'm definitively not a scientist, just an impassioned amateur trying to understand and wanting shared experiences for a better understanding.

I guess the point is: heat helps the virus but if it's too much, it obstructs it. The cold just make it sleep. Maybe without the falls and the winter, that viola would die.

Take care :-)
Thierry.

Here is a link that might be useful: heat-treatment

o

I'd just add the comment that I noticed light seasonal variations in the variegation of this violet...Foliage being a bit greener ( more green? lol) during winter...

Take care of your babies etii! ;-))

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Violet Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here