Viola ignobilis

nathalie
18 years ago

I have it blooming those days...

Image link:

Comments (10)

• etii
    18 years ago

Who's the Queen of the violets ? Reine Nathalie ;-)
    U're just the best :-)

XOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOX
    Thierry.

• rob_peace
    18 years ago

a lovley flower, natha!
    is this violet very similar to odorata? i have a reference which calls it 'a form of odorata from romania'. very interesting colours....
    thank you!
    rob...

• nathalie
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Well..not so similar to Viola odorata as it should be I know...It has smooth leaves and never set runners...Very few seeds...But I am sure I have it from Caucase moutains.
    I saw on a japanese website that the same violet has the same name ( same seeds origins?? maybe?)
    It has also a very distinct perfume...lightly lemony! :-))

• rob_peace
    18 years ago

excellent! i'm glad it is a distinctive looking plant.
    with unusual flowers and perfume, it's a winner!

rob...

• yang_yang
    18 years ago

Ooh la la! Brava Natha! What a charming flower! And lemony fragrance!!! Does it always have curly petals? Wonder if it can also be found in China? Don't think I have come across this name in my Flora of China (which is not at hand at the moment for me to look it up)...

• Mike Hardman
    18 years ago

Marvellous, Natha :)

For those not familiar with V. ignobilis, I have the description from B.K. Shishkin (Editor) Flora of the USSR, Vol. XV (1949), translated in 1974 [via an email from Gerd Knoche a few years ago, when you, he and I were discussing it]:

"Perennial, 3-7 cm high, weaker and more slender than V. odorata; rhizome thickish, with approximate joints, giving rise to slender, creeping rooting aerial stolons to 12 cm long, these bearing at their summit a rosette of basal leaves and flowers in the axils; leaves smaller than those of V. odorata, cordate reniform or partly reniform, fully grown 0,7-3,5 cm long and 1-3,2cm broad, rounded or very obtusely triangular at apex, with a rather deep sinus at base, crenulate or crenate-dentate, thin, glabrous, or petiole and veins soft-hairy; stipules thin, hyaline, ovate, acute, shortly ciliate and often glandular-ciliate; flowers 1,2-2 cm long, scentless or very faintly fragrant;
    peduncles glabrous or sligthtly pubescent with recurved hairs, two bracts at or below middle; sepals ovate or oblong, obtuse or partly subacute; petals lilac,
    entire or crenulate or (lower petal) notched; lateral petals beardless; spur 2-3mm long, straight, slightly attenuate toward tip obtusish; ovary pubescent;
    style scarcely compressed laterally, recurved at summit, beak shorter than style diameter, horizontal or obliquely ascending at tip. May.
    Alpine zone of mountains. - Caucasus: Sisc. and E. Transc.(Main Caucasus Range), W. and S. Transc. Gen. distr.: Iran (N.). Described from Gud-Gora Mountain and the vicinity of Kaishaur on the Georgian Military Road. Type in Leningrad."

• nathalie
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I remember this discussion but had loose information since that time! Thanks a lot Mike for saving it...

The one I grow don't fit the description to what I understand..

(By the way..did you change your email address? You're
    unreachable!)

• Mike Hardman
    18 years ago

Natha - ah - email address - sorry - I removed my old web site (http://www.ionia.demon.co.uk) and email; maybe that was the problem.
    I now have www.mikehardman.com and www.violaceae.info.

But my ntlworld.com email address should still work.
    I'll send you an email anyway, ma cheri.

• thebadmonkey
    18 years ago

Thats a very pretty color and shape. I am somewhat new to growing violets and am looking forward to having as many choice varieties as I can get to grow here in Oklahoma...

• Fiona MAKANDE
    last year

What are some uses of this plant viola ignobilis? Are they any usages?