Return to the Violet Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Special violet searching for identity

Posted by helenaviolet 9b (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 10, 12 at 8:14

Here is a pic of a violet - V. odorata - which I know has been growing in Australia since at least the 1920's. I refer to it as "Julie's violet" in memory of an old friend who gave it to me.I feel sure that it may be an old named cultivar and hope that someone might recognise it. The flowers are large, lightly scented and held on long stems; good for picking. They are a deep lavender-blue and cold weather brings out a crimson blush. Strong growth and large coarsely textured leaves. Please, if this violet is familiar I would be interested in any information. Feel free to copy the pic for discussion purposes.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Special violet searching for identity

• Posted by mlb86 6B NE TN (My Page) on
    Sat, Oct 27, 12 at 9:20

I have no idea what variety it is, but it is really lovely. Thank you so much for posting the picture.

o
RE: Special violet searching for identity

Thanks for the response - yes it is a lovely violet and no matter if you haven't seen it. That is good information in a way. I think (hope) people might recognise it from my photo and description. All cultivated violets in Australia have descended from plants which were imported from Europe or America - perhaps over a century past so records have been lost.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Violet Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here