Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
puchinita5

how to save my viola

Puchinita5
9 years ago

Hi!
So the short story:
My Viola is totally dry and doesn't seem to be reviving with a recent watering and repotting. Not sure if I should wait, cut all the leaves off, maybe cut back at the neck (it's a bit leggy anyway).

Longer story:
I have been growing a Viola Odorata indoors for a month or two now... it's been doing very well with very healthy looking leaves, except after a couple weeks I noticed some creepy crawlies on it. THRIPS!

It wasn't horribly infested, I could see about 5 or 6 on it at a given time. I spent a lot of money on plants recently, so I decided to try the soapy water trick first since I already had some Dawn dish soap around. After a week, no sign of thrips. After another week, they were back. Drats! Tried again. One week gone, then they were back.

This past week, I was checking my plants to see who needed to be watered, and the viola's soil seemed almost dry but like it could go another day or two. The next day, the leaves were totally droopy and dry, almost crispy, but not brown. And the soil was totally dry. Must have misinterpreted how dry that soil was.

I didn't see any thrips on the plant, but I thought now would be a good time to change the soil and really try to get rid of them. So I totally removed all the dry soil (the roots looked healthy), sprayed the leaves and neck with soapy water a few times, then rinsed them well with regular water to get the soap off and maybe drown and rinse off any tiny thrips (making sure not to water the roots yet).

Then I repotted in some good potting soil and watered. I was hoping the following day, the leaves would be back to normal and healthy. But they are not. Still dry and crispy. I'm wondering what my next move should be, any thoughts???

Sponsored