Return to the Violet Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
predation on true violets

Posted by kasper Olympic Peninsu (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 22, 04 at 23:39

I have two true violets, Blue Remington and Royal Robe (Odorata and Cucullata). They are healthy other than something is eating them. I can't see what it is but something is also eating the flowers (but not leaves) of
my other violas. This something hasn't bothered my "Rebecca". Any suggestions? All are in containers outside. - kasper

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: predation on true violets

• Posted by MorZ8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Sat, Oct 23, 04 at 12:01

Slugs, or earwigs. Go out after dark with a flashlight and inspect...

o

You could also look for caterpillars, and if you find same, you might want to consider if there are some ordinary violets you could spare as forage. Violets are primary food for almost all the fritillary butterflies - don't know which of them you might have in your area.
(Yes, I know - I'd better duck - it's not kind to suggest that one's favorite flower is a preferred snack for a caterpillar, and then say "keep the caterpillar".)

o

Hmmm...
Earwigs make the flowers tatty; I've not known them to eat leaves.
Slugs & snails give the game away with the slime trails.
Caterpillars: probably too early for fritillary larvae in your area; moth larvae slightly more likely, but still not a top contender, I would have thought.
Don't rule out mice this time of year. I've just has the tops of some seedlings mown off (in the cold greenhouse), and that's what I suspect.

o

Gardenpaws is right and there is one fritillary in particular which is endangered and should be conserved--Speyeria diana.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Violet Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here