Return to the Violet Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with Id.

Posted by MasterGardenerFrank Zone6/New Jerse (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 12, 03 at 23:41

This Violet was donated to a plant sale last year & was marked "Siberian Violet". I have not been able to find anything with that name. It looks simular to Labrador Violet however does not get the purple on the leaves.The Mother plant overwintered with the pot sunk into the ground. I removed 37 seedlings from the mom this spring. I've finally caught it with a bloom. The smaller plant is a little wilted because it was in the 70's yesterday & today, after being in the upper 50's to lower 60's. Any help would be appreciated. Frank

Image link: Help with Id. (50 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with Id.

Your violet really looks like Viola koreana...
I thinks the others readers will be able to tell you more about it...specially about the correct spelling and origins wich I don't remember to be siberia or not!?
We have already had few postings on this violets in this forum...
Cheers
Nathalie

o

Yup - Viola variegata (often still referred to as V. koreana). The leaves should be purple underneath.
I am not sure how widespread the variegated form is, but the plain green one covers an area from Japan to Korea to Manchuria to Siberia.
Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: Here's a search that'll show you some images

o

Thanks alot guys. Yes the leaves are purple underneath.
Frank

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Violet Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here