Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
missa_gw

where to get different violets at reasonable price?

missa
19 years ago

Greetings: I thnk one of my new things for the new year will be violets. I have as it seems two types in my yard that are wild. one is much smaller and has longer leaves that are fuzzy and they are either white or purple flowers. Then i have the more common kind with the big heart shaped leaves and purple flowers and as well as the white ones that are scarce. I dont know the names of these two varieties though. I also have collected viola sororia"freckles" and Viola hederacia aka. australian jumping violet. Im hoping to acquire more varieties. Does anyone want to make a trade for some plants on my list in return for violets i do not have? I would like to get my hands on Viola sororia "rubra". and any double violet. Please no african violets! Thank you!

Missa

Comments (8)

• starla756
    19 years ago

Canyon Creek Nursery has some beautiful violets.www.canyoncreeknursery.com.

• missa
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thank you starla756 That is a great website and i have saved it, so that i can use them in the spring! Have a good one, and thank you again! Missa

• billybw
    19 years ago

Another good seed source is Thompson and Morgan. Not just for violets, but many other types of flowers as well.

http://seeds.thompson-morgan.com/us/en

• gardenpaws_VA
    19 years ago

Missa,
    Please tell me more about your fuzzy-leaved violet. I've got a couple of plants here that I just haven't been able to ID. Small (3/4" or less) roundish purple blooms, leaf blade longer than wide when mature, occasionally eared at the base, definitely fuzzy at least at bloom time, and likes sunny, acid clay.
    Any suggestions would be gratefully accepted - Robin

• missa
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Gardenpaws:
    What you have written sounds much like that unknown plant i have in my yard too. Man, the flower really looks like a violet but the plant is not like a violet at all. It reminds me ( the leaf shape anyway) like that of a sertain type of a sundew. Im stumped as i have bought a few different tryes of feild guide and wild flowers books and cant find anything similar to it. Im going to take a picture of it in the spring and through the summer months and if i can figure out how to shrink he photos sze( bytes?) into the format that Gw has i will post them here or name that plant area. Perhaps together we can help eachother! do keep in touch! I also have the smallest Violets ice ever seen! I cant seem to find them in any of my books either. the white ones have flowers that look similar to the canada violet but its more plain than that. I dont know, perhaps we have a really neat plant in out yards that not many have and we are the lucky ones. I know i have alot ofthe tiny white violets in my yard...i wouldnt say they are as free seeding or they dont seem to spread at rates that blow your mind like some violets. Unless its just that high asid clay soil that stunts them, i dont know. But they arent canada violet the common blue or white violet, that much i know. I have not looked around my yard to see how many of the weird fuzzy "violets" i kave, but you can bet if they produce seeds im going to collect them. and perhaps i will move a plant or two to a rich perennial bed and see how they do. Have a great day! Missy

• gardenpaws_VA
    19 years ago

Missy,
    I'll try to get pictures for you, and post them. I know how you feel about pics - I had to post some recently for another list, and by the time I had them 'cleaned up', they had tripled in size and I had to figure out how to shrink them to a size that would upload in less than 10 minutes each.
    BTW, some of my violets did come from points north (specifically Maine), but the fuzzy one is from a (relatively undisturbed) wild site in Virginia.

Robin

• missa
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thank you robin! Ive tried to shrink previous pics of other plants but them that program paint comes up and ive already ruined a few gorgeous pictures. I will admit i have no idea what im doing. It took me weeks to figure out how to transfer a picture from a pc picture show disk to j peg format and send it to my picture file,lol. Im going to have to start asking friends if they know how to shrink the picture and show me how to do it,lol.
    Im as about as smart as a box of rocks when it comes to computers,lol. I only know the basics,lol. Im impatiently waiting for spring. esch time i start to see bits and pieces of the ground it starts snowing again! A few months back before the winter weather started to kick in i managed to find two of those tiny unknown violets. i thought they died but i have one leaf from one of them. I dont think they have had enough cool weather and dormancy and they may not do too good but i wanted to see what they did in better soil. I think im still gonna have to wait until spring to find some fresh ones. I guess i could put the pot in my fridge but by the time its ready, it will be spring.
    Have a wonderful day Robin! thank you so much!

Missy

• autumnglory
    19 years ago

I'm looking for violet seeds myself... the girl at the nursery laughed at me yesterday; she has a whole yard full (or HAD - she killed them, she says) and can't understand why on earth I'd WANT them!

I told her that this is my first year in the "I'm eliminating my lawn by slowly taking it over" conquest... I figure, just sprinkle some seeds this year, plant a border bed by the driveway... next year, another bed...

If anyone has seeds they'd like to get rid of, please let me know! :)

Sponsored
Capital City Construction & Remodeling
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living