Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jim_mck

Season's Greetings from a cold frame

jim_mck
18 years ago

Viola odorata 'King of the Doubles' is blooming in one of the cold frames today. All of the violets in the frame look snug and cozy. Let it snow!

Does anyone else have blossoms for the holiday season?

Jim

Comments (6)

• rob_peace
    18 years ago

viola striata is flowering well here, jim. it's summer, of course but the tall stems and lush foliage seem unconcerned. there are still plently of elegantly cream coloured flowers amongst the rich green leaves. in the shade house viola rubella is covered in blooms. i three clones now. one was found in a local nursery as an unnamed species. discussion in this forum lead to it being identified as the south american shruby violet rubella. gerd from germany and i swapped seed. the most noticable difference between the three clones is in the foliage, but these differences are subtle.
    rob...

• Mike Hardman
    18 years ago

I have Viola alba (blue and white form) in flower in (cold) greenhouse; it is less advanced in the borders.
    Envious of your V. rubella, Rob :) Nice one.

• stefanb8
    18 years ago

My 'King of the Doubles', too, has been more or less blooming since November - although mine is in a pot on my window ledge. It seems particularly willing to brave the elements!

Unfortunately, I'm not certain how much longer I will remain an active user of the Gardenweb forums. The newly amended privacy policy and terms of service leave me feeling sorrowful and used - and I will not abide them. I dearly hope that the forums at the American Violet Society website will recover from their utter dysfunction, or that the International Violet Society will be able to step up to the plate and offer a forum environment of its own to facilitate discussion of the violet. I would dearly miss the precious sort of exchange of ideas that we have managed to cultivate, however sleepy it may seem at times.

Stefan

• etii
    18 years ago

Come on stefan, please DO NOT go away, stay :-) (shall I implore down on my knees ? ;-))
    Your knowledge is so precious for newbie like me...
    I didn't read privacy policy and terms of service yet as I haven't done it before, mainly 'cause it's in English I'm so lazzy for that boring kind of reading but what's the matter ? What's the problem ? I didn't notice the changes, do you mind explaining ? :-)

Take care :-)
    Thierry.

• nathalie
    18 years ago

Why on earth stefan could'nt you going on talking in the violet forum!? Please, do explain us what's the matter!?

Of course unable and incompetent to understand the subtles changes in the terms etc..

Should have to have Jeff Parkes and Jill Ann informed too...

• Mike Hardman
    18 years ago

I can probably set up an alternative forum if necessary, but I don't want to do so, because its nice for eveybody to meet in one place, isn't it?!

I, too, am not sure what the problem is with the 'terms'.
    Please can you explain, Stefan?

Sponsored
Capri Home Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars33 Reviews
Reputable Home Renovation Company Serving Northern Virginia