Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jim_mck

Hardiness of Parmas; Parma d'Udine; violet books

jim_mck
18 years ago

I've started a new thread here, picking up several themes which had started under the Welcome, Jim McKenney subject.

Well, I'm having another "earth to Jim" experience. First it was the business with the temperature, then the comment about seeing "somewhere" the photo of the shelf of violet books. Of course, that photo is in the current issue of the Journal. And the Allen-Brown book is there, just a bit left of center. I'm sure everyone was commenting on my droll sense of humor!

Mike's shelf of violet books has me wishing I had been a better boy this year and that Santa knew a good book seller. My computer table is literally surrounded by books on two sides, floor to ceiling. It's one of the most comforting sights I know.

The temperature today did not get above freezing; tomorrow is expected to be a bit warmer, but something - rain, snow storm, ice storm - is on the way.

Nathalie mentioned seeing Viola odorata 'Marie Louise' in Udine. I have a violet received under the name 'd' Udine'. Might these be the same thing?

For those following my "hardiness test", my Parma violets are not in pots; they are planted into the soil of the cold frame.

Jim

Comments (5)

• Mike Hardman
    18 years ago

Jim,

You might be interested: just on the shelves:

WILD VIOLETS OF NORTH AMERICA,
    Baird, V.B.
    Berkeley: University of California Press, 1942., 1942, , VIOLETS, COLOR PLATES, Pp. xv, 225, 80 full page color plates by F. S. Matthews, 14 text-figs. Orig. gilt-decorated cloth, lg 8vo. First edition. This edition is limited to 1000 numbered copies signed by the author, this being no. 268.
    Bookseller: Natural History Books, Iowa City, IA
    Price: US$ 100.00

That's a fair price, assuming it is in reasonable condition. It is a shame it doesn't have the dust jacket, but they are quite rare and would bump the price up.

This book is based on the work of her father, Ezra Brainerd, at the Agricultural Station at Vermont. The coloured illustrations are attractive and useful, and the text contains much good information. The hand-written number (of the limited edition) will be at the back, by the way.
    It was published in 1945, so some of the nomenclature is out of date, but that doesn't stop me liking the book a lot; it is still one of my bibles of north American Viola.

If I've tempted you, act quickly - these don't hang around for long...

Mike

• rob_peace
    18 years ago

jim, re d'udine in italy.
    my feeling is that this variety is the same as marie louise. it might be a 'selelcted clone' but under normal conditions, it seems the same as what most of us grow as marie louise. trouble is, in italy they seem to have duchesse de parme under the name marie louise. they then make the point d'udine is much darker than marie lousie. from the italian perspective, this is true! there's no way to prove we have the correct variety names on our stock after so many years, but most violet growers would recognise d'udine and marie louise as being the same. from an international perspective, it's likely the italian 'maire louise' is duchesse de parme, or perhaps lady hume campbell. this doesnt exclude the chance that the italians are right and the rest are wrong! just bowing to, establishing or reinforcing a naming convention.
    i'm not sure if that's the same thread as nathalie started. either!
    rob...

• nathalie
    18 years ago

Oh..I am bringing confusion..Yes I wrote 'Marie Louise'talking about that old italian cultivar.But actually...to me too...as Rob explained..Marie Louise and Udine are the same.Strong vigourous and dark parma...sometimes with a green center and red spots...Here too probably more names than differents varieties...

(And this old cultivar as a label mentioning Rosa Merlo..Just the place where it comes from...not (YET!!) a new name! )

• limyan
    18 years ago

Nathalie ; have you saw the flowers of "Udine" that I gave you? it's very different from the Mrie-Louise who comes from your home. They dont flower at the same time, and do not have same strength. I cultivate them together and under the same conditions, damage which I do not have of photograph. There must be well two cultivard distinct but the names were mixed.
    ;-) xy

• rob_peace
    18 years ago

wow!
    we explore a contoversy!
    you must follow up your observations, yann. ok? perhaps we will come to a new understanding of these parma violets. (this doesnt change the fact the italians dont have the 'rest of the world' version of marie louise.)
    rob...

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting