Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hapyfrustrated

Water hose storage

hapyfrustrated
15 years ago

I am looking for something to wind my 100' water hose on. I have looked at those things that are designed to reel the hose into that have wheels and a handle for guiding. I have also seen the hose holders that look like planter buckets with a hole in the lower side that the hose can be pulled out of. Not sure if I like that or not. I have two faucets on the front of my house, I don't want to leave the hose in a heap on the porch.

Does anyone have experience, some of them look cheap and I am not sure if they will last long. Before I remodeled my home I had something attached right beside the faucet that you could wind the hose onto and leave it hanging there.

I just need to hear other peoples opinions. Please excuse my choice of words, it is late and I am tired, thanks!

Comments (4)

• lehua49
    15 years ago

Hi Hpyfrstrd,

I have tried several of the expensive ones but I have always come back to the type that allows you to hang it on the wall. It is the most convenient to use which means it will be used. Looks fine to me but I prefer handiness over trying to hide it. The other way is take it off each time and hang it on the wall in the garage. JMHO Aloha

• weed_tree
    15 years ago

I use a fixed bracket for hanging one 50-ft hose, a wall-mounted hose reel for a 100-ft hose, and a galvanized bin for coiling/storing a 15-ft hose on the deck. The hose reel wins, hands down, for ease of use and storage. Three years ago, I invested in an excellent--but expensive--quality reel (made in the U.S., no less!) called Rapid Reel and it is still a daily pleasure to use. I have no affiliation with this company, but I will gladly recommend their excellent product I can actually water my garden in nice clothing and reel up the hose without breaking a sweat or trashing my hands, clothes, shoes, etc. from a flailing muddy hose writhing around my legs. It's easy to drain before winter freezes. It is so smooth and simple, it brings tears to my eyes. Or maybe that's the spray from a worn hose washer?

The fixed bracket (sturdy and inexpensive) is extremely annoying because the hose must be carefully coiled and uncoiled with a twist every few feet (most hoses have a manufactured 'hand' that allows them to lay flat when coiled). I curse it every time I use it and promise myself I'll replace it with another Rapid Reel, as soon as I can justify the $$. Did I mention how much I despise that fixed bracket? Or how many plants the hose loops have strangled while I'm wrestling the other 45 feet into submission?

The galvanized bin is easy to use and low visual impact because I can cram a 15-ft hose into the bin and cover it, sort of. As soon as I cut a notch in the lid (for the hose to connect to the spigot), the lid will fit snuggly and the wind won't be able to blow it across the deck into my neighbor's yard. Alas, the hose reel would be overkill or I'd get a third.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rapid Reel hose reel

• lehua49
    15 years ago

Hi weed tree,

Are you sure you are not married into the family. You sold me but I don't have the $100. I like my $10 wall mount non-reel type. I don't hose my garden in good clothes and I don't mind getting my hands dirty or sweating a little. that is what I garden for. I think a hand-wind wheel is easier and more convenient too. As long as you are happy with it, it's great. The owners are good old Nebraska boys. The salt of the Earth. Great work ethic. Great Company. Aloha.

• steve_l
    15 years ago

Agree. The Rapid Reel is a good choice, albeit pricey. But, it's built out of steel and extremely strong. Those $40 plastic units tend to last just a few years, warp, leak, etc... I found the best price for a Rapid Reel was on Amazon - roughly $90 with shipping. People were selling them on eBay with "buy it now" prices for significantly more.