Return to the Weeds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can anyone identify this lawn weed ????

Posted by DougButtimer Wiltshire UK (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 30, 05 at 11:23

I'm a newbie to this forum (AND to identifying lawn weeds ! So pardon me if this has been asked before !)
My lawn is REALLY infested with this weed and I need to get it under control - the normal selective lawn weedkiller doesn't seem to have any affect on it at all. Can anyone suggest an effective treatment (please be aware that I'm in the UK, so obtaining US brand names may be a problem) I hope that the image is clear enough for someone to identify this pest) Many thanks !

Image link: Can anyone identify this lawn weed ???? (49 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
Can anyone identify this weed in North Carolina????

Please help me identify this weed. I had a 'few' of this stuff last year as did my neighbors but this year it has COMPLETELY taken over this entire area of NC. The worse part is: If you let the stuff 'dry out' (go to seed) it actually 'jumps' at you and sprays hundreds of small seeds in a circle thus spreading the pest for NEXT year. Most of my neighbors say "It will go away when hot weather sets in" and they just mow it down in their lawns. The problem IS (for me) I have half my yard in flowers, bulbs etc so 'mowing' it down is impossible. I have taken out 20 plastic bags of the stuff from my flower beds and have only done about 1/4 th of the beds. I have to get this done before hot weather sets in so it will not start 'jumping/spraying' the seeds. I'm about at my wits end... Please, can some of you SE gardeners that know WHAT this stuff is HELP ME???

Here is a link that might be useful: Mystery Weed

o
RE: Can anyone identify this lawn weed ????

April 29 - I have found out (since posting this about Chickweed (which I could not identify)) that one of the reasons that it is so prolific in some soils is that the soil is lacking in lime. So I will be applying lime to my yard to see if that helps curtail the weed next spring. I understand that lime only has to be applied every 3 to 4 years... In any case, I have pulled up enough of the stuff this year (about 40 bags of the stuff) that at least my flowers can be seen again. See link below

Here is a link that might be useful: Yard without Chickweed!!!

o

Hi all

Just wanted to let all members know that visit my web sites;security risks are now being addressed on all of my web sites and that ALL IP Addresses of all visits will be recorded for security reasons.

Ruth

o

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Sat, Oct 7, 06 at 23:31

Chickweed is common in moist soil. Liming won't limit its growth.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Weeds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here