Return to the Weeds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
best product for clover in st augustine grass?

Posted by aggiedude z9 Houston, TX (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 28, 06 at 10:07

what is the best product that any of you are aware of to kill clover growing my my st augustine lawn. from what I hear you have to be careful because many products are not safe for this type of grass.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: best product for clover in st augustine grass?

Here in central Florida we use granular or liquid products with atrazine for broadleaf weed control in St. Augustine turf.

o

Leave it alone! Clover is the best thing you can have in your lawn. It's the chemical companies who have branded it as a weed so they can sell more weed-killer. Clover replenishes the nitrogen in the soil and needs less water. A lawn with clover in will stay green all summer.

o

I too would leave it alone but, if you can't, I would spot treat with either suflur or urea. Clover dislikes them both. I've also used them in combination with success.
Some of the best herbicides for clover are expensive and hard on the enviornment

o

leave clover alone, it's harmless.

o

Any broad leaf weed killer will unneccessarily kill off White Dutch Clover. When I was a child, 1950 era, WDC was planted in the lawn, purposely, to help provide some Nitrogen to help the grass grow (of course we did not them have allthe "fertilizers" we have now). As the turfgrass "fertilizer" industry grew and people had to have a large weed free pasture around their homes WDC became a weed, because the compnaies that made the "weed" poisons could not develop one that did not kill it.
Today this industry spend tons of money convincing Joe Homeowner that anything but grass in his lawn willcause irreparable harm to the physce of his children and he needs to spend lots of money eliminating those, adn that is hogwash. Leave the clover because it is better for your soil than the stuff you would use to eliminate it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Weeds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here