Return to the Weeds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
This Weed is Taking Over!

Posted by shear_stupidity 9B (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 14, 13 at 10:17

I'm in Central Coastal Florida. This weed is everywhere. Full sun to deep shade... in the grass, in flowerbeds, front yard, back yard... I keep hand-pulling because it comes out easily, but I might just be making it worse. Any suggestions?

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: This Weed is Taking Over!

Looks like a tree/shrub seedling. Maybe popcorn tree, AKA Chinese tallow tree.

o

it's not that. It's very soft and never grows taller than 8-9 inches.

o

Sunflower?

It "never grows taller than 8-9 inches." Is that because of the mowing or pulling? Or have you allowed some to grow and that was as tall as it got?

o

I allowed some to grow and they only got 8-9 inches tall in one season... then died back in hot summer. Then it starts all over again. I don't think it's a Sunflower. The one in this picture is very small... but left alone, it sprawls and spreads without any flowering that I've noticed.

o

Clover once was considered a desireable plant and not a "weed" because it can help improve soils. Just scuffing the mulch should be enough to uproot what is growing there.
I have seen people spray things like 2,4,-D near their Lilacs and other plants, with some kind of barrier to keep the spray off those plants, only to have those plants show signs of herbicide poisoning because, apparently, the plants uptake that poison through the roots. Not supposed to happen according to the producers of these products but it does.

o

I would leave the clover there, but it will then be throughout that entire bed, and that's not the look I was really going for. I wanted to keep it neat and accessible.

o

It's apparently Chickweed. Just found it.

o

It doesn't really look like chickweed to me. That is extremely common and I think some would have suggested it before now. 8 - 9 inches is tall for chickweed, it doesn't have red stems and the leaves are less pointed. It also has small white flowers which you don't mention.

o

I haven't seen it flower, but I have to say I can't guarantee that it doesn't. The 8-9" growth is only against a fence... which I guess if it's trying to sprawl, might explain why it gets high on one side? If I hadn't just hand-pulled so much of it out, I'd take a picture of a "big one."

o

I don't see any chickweed in your pic.

o

Hmmm... I have so MUCH of this, and can't seem to get an ID on it.

o

Look up "horseherb" and tell me what you think.

o

No, not horseherb. I looked it up and the leaves are too veiny and thick. These leaves are flat and thin and fragile. I will go outside when the sun comes up and look for a picture of it after it's grown larger.

o

Any progress figuring this one out...?

o

The company we hired to spray the front yard still says it's chickweed. I just took these pictures of several different "more mature" plants that have been allowed to grow for about six weeks. Let's see if anyone knows what it is now?

photo 881613_10200757198601788_94934474_o_zps9aaa54ab.jpg
 photo 852100_10200757232082625_134812672_o_zps480f5f85.jpg photo 852046_10200757197361757_353158404_o_zpsaa1615fd.jpg photo 855639_10200757216962247_1410081280_o_zpsa0967fa5.jpg photo 852007_10200757196201728_2010199257_o_zps9e97f926.jpg photo 851917_10200757219842319_270001070_o_zps8ea13d92.jpg photo 854780_10200757227562512_1153119967_o_zpsa3db6c75.jpg

o

Huh, doesn't look like popcorn tree anymore. Those leaves and red stems look Impatiens-y to me. Are there little flowers along some of those longer stems? If so, I don't know an Impatiens to suggest, but FL plants are a whole separate area... Might put these on NTP if you don't get an answer here soon.

o

I'm going to run some errands, then try to remember to put something in the picture for size reference. Maybe some white paper under it so you can see the growth habit. The fifth picture down is one plant.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Weeds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here