Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shear_stupidity

This Weed is Taking Over!

shear_stupidity
11 years ago

I'm in Central Coastal Florida. This weed is everywhere. Full sun to deep shade... in the grass, in flowerbeds, front yard, back yard... I keep hand-pulling because it comes out easily, but I might just be making it worse. Any suggestions?

Comments (17)

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

Looks like a tree/shrub seedling. Maybe popcorn tree, AKA Chinese tallow tree.

• shear_stupidity
    Original Author
    11 years ago

it's not that. It's very soft and never grows taller than 8-9 inches.

• theplantwizard
    11 years ago

Sunflower?

It "never grows taller than 8-9 inches." Is that because of the mowing or pulling? Or have you allowed some to grow and that was as tall as it got?

• shear_stupidity
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I allowed some to grow and they only got 8-9 inches tall in one season... then died back in hot summer. Then it starts all over again. I don't think it's a Sunflower. The one in this picture is very small... but left alone, it sprawls and spreads without any flowering that I've noticed.

• Kimmsr
    11 years ago

Clover once was considered a desireable plant and not a "weed" because it can help improve soils. Just scuffing the mulch should be enough to uproot what is growing there.
    I have seen people spray things like 2,4,-D near their Lilacs and other plants, with some kind of barrier to keep the spray off those plants, only to have those plants show signs of herbicide poisoning because, apparently, the plants uptake that poison through the roots. Not supposed to happen according to the producers of these products but it does.

• shear_stupidity
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I would leave the clover there, but it will then be throughout that entire bed, and that's not the look I was really going for. I wanted to keep it neat and accessible.

• shear_stupidity
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It's apparently Chickweed. Just found it.

• flora_uk
    11 years ago

It doesn't really look like chickweed to me. That is extremely common and I think some would have suggested it before now. 8 - 9 inches is tall for chickweed, it doesn't have red stems and the leaves are less pointed. It also has small white flowers which you don't mention.

• shear_stupidity
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I haven't seen it flower, but I have to say I can't guarantee that it doesn't. The 8-9" growth is only against a fence... which I guess if it's trying to sprawl, might explain why it gets high on one side? If I hadn't just hand-pulled so much of it out, I'd take a picture of a "big one."

• eahamel
    11 years ago

I don't see any chickweed in your pic.

• shear_stupidity
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hmmm... I have so MUCH of this, and can't seem to get an ID on it.

• Bryan Scott
    11 years ago

Look up "horseherb" and tell me what you think.

• shear_stupidity
    Original Author
    11 years ago

No, not horseherb. I looked it up and the leaves are too veiny and thick. These leaves are flat and thin and fragile. I will go outside when the sun comes up and look for a picture of it after it's grown larger.

11 years ago

Any progress figuring this one out...?

• shear_stupidity
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The company we hired to spray the front yard still says it's chickweed. I just took these pictures of several different "more mature" plants that have been allowed to grow for about six weeks. Let's see if anyone knows what it is now?

{{gwi:144254}}

{{gwi:144255}}{{gwi:1340293}}{{gwi:144256}}

11 years ago

Huh, doesn't look like popcorn tree anymore. Those leaves and red stems look Impatiens-y to me. Are there little flowers along some of those longer stems? If so, I don't know an Impatiens to suggest, but FL plants are a whole separate area... Might put these on NTP if you don't get an answer here soon.

• shear_stupidity
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm going to run some errands, then try to remember to put something in the picture for size reference. Maybe some white paper under it so you can see the growth habit. The fifth picture down is one plant.

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional