Return to the Weeds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Weed Id please

Posted by kamui (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 31, 07 at 13:58

I need some help to ID this weed on my rooftop and what can I use to get rid of them. I've tried pulling them but the stem would break off from the roots.

Image link: Weed Id please (54 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Weed Id please

It's a species of Wigandia, maybe Wigandia caracasana, and is possibly native in your part of Mexico. In some other countries it is regarded as an ornamental, though admittedly it is a rather untidy plant. I once grew one and it reached about 4 metres high in under 5 years.

I am not sure how you would kill it. Most woody plants can be controlled by curtting them off close to the ground and immediately pouring some concentrated glyphosate ('Roundup', etc) onto the cut stump. You may need to wait 2-4 weeks to see the effect.

o
RE: Weed Id please

Thanks Tony, searched for wigandia and it seems to match this plants. Dunno how they invaded my rooftop since I don't have any on my garden. I guess some neighbor had one and it's seeds spread thru the neighborhood.

I bought some glyphosate and it works wonder on them. I sprayed the smaller ones with diluted glyphosate and they dry up and die within a week. As for the mature plants I did cut them and poured glyphosate, after a month it seems to have worked.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Weeds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here