Return to the Weeds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lamium Under 'Potential' Deck - Help Eliminating Please

Posted by holly_bc Zone 7B VanIsle (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 6, 06 at 21:11

I've an area I intend to be a deck, hopefully this summer, however at present there is Lamium growing into the area. Once the deck is built, I won't be able to get below it so how can I truly eradicate the Lamium and all other weeds over the next few months?

Should I just dig it over really well, pulling all the roots & bits thereof I see? Perhaps I should screen the soil as I dig to eliminate all possible? I have lots of cardboard I can put down once I've cleaned it & could place rocks on the cardboard to keep it in place.

It would likely be late May or early June before we get to building the deck itself. I really want to do all I can now to eliminate weeds popping up thru the deck boards in the future.

Any advice/comments/ideas or suggestions gratefully received.

Hope this is the correct forum for this question -- there didn't seem (much to my surprise) be any *Decks* forum.

TIA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lamium Under 'Potential' Deck - Help Eliminating Please

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Thu, Jan 12, 06 at 12:12

Hi Holly....There is a Deck Forum, you just didn't think to look under "P"

I'm in no way professional when it comes to decks, but I would use layers of cardboard or black plastic (temporarily!) to kill weeds now. You don't need to go to that much trouble under your deck as to digging and screening soil. I wouldn't leave the cardboard underneath when constructing, you will be creating many months of slug habitat in our climate. Black plastic left in place after construction tends to create a 'pond' effect, will hold rain and could create a moisture issue to affect the life of your wood.

Under a deck or porch is the only place I might use the aerated landscape fabric if building a new deck. ( Check your builder supply stores.) Actually, I replaced a worn deck last Fall, and found black plastic installed under...I wonder if that didn't contribute to the algae growth in winter. It must have been pond-like under there.

This wasn't a new area with anything current growing, so I didn't put anything down to replace the plastic. If an occasional weed finds it's way through the closely spaced boards, I'll pull it...

Here is a link that might be useful: Porches and Decks

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Weeds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here