Return to the Weeds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dollar weed and Newspaper

Posted by skoot_cat Clearwater, FL. (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 27, 08 at 10:16

I have been battling the dreaded dollar weed in one of my plant beds for about a year now with little luck. I am determined to win this battle. I have spot sprayed with Vinegar, RU, and Triclopyr.

I only irrigate once a week in the middle of summer, and about once every 3 weeks in winter. The bed currently has 3-4" of recycled mulch.

My plan is to remove the mulch, place several sheets of newspaper down, then replace the mulch on top of the newspaper.

My hope is that the newspaper and mulch will block out the sunlight and the dollarweed will DIE. What do you think?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dollar weed and Newspaper

Vinegar might be an effective "weed" suppressor if repeatedly applied over a long period of time. All that vinegar does is kill the top growth, so the target plant if it has good food reserves in the roots can just grow back unless repeated applications eventually deplete those food reserves.
Now that you have found that the other two, expensive and supposedly very effective "weed killers" actually are not as effective as the ads state, and both of those also require repeated applications, often for many years, you can try a more eco friendly method by laying down newspaper which will, after some time cause the target "weed" to use up the food reserves in the roots and just quit trying to grow. You wil find that just like those expensive "weed killers" you will need to make repeated applications to control this plant, there is no quick solution.

o
RE: Dollar weed and Newspaper

skoot, I don't have much hope for your winning the war on this very persistant weed (Hydrocotyl umbellata) with newspaper layers. I've seen those stolons travel for many feet (yards) under mulch and even plastic just to come up where it can. It would certainly be worth a 'try', though.

I also have little faith in vinegar for this weed. The foliage is simply much too waxy for it to be effective. I've never heard of anyone having any luck with such a treatment.

"Image" is about the only herbicide that has the ability to control this darned stuff. Read up on the product before purchasing, then read and follow the directions to a 'T' if you do decide to try it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Weeds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here