Return to the Weeds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Getting rid of established perennial weeds and grasses

Posted by sujiwan 6 MD (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 26, 09 at 15:43

I had an erroneous vision of a slope planted with daffodils and daylilies which would naturalize and increase over the years. What I didn't understand was that there were farmland grasses and weeds that grow very tall in that same area and obscure my plantings. I'm trying to figure out what my options are to get rid of these established weedy plants while not harming my other plantings. Daffs are barely poking above ground at this point.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Getting rid of established perennial weeds and grasses

The grass actually does aid in stopping that slope from eroding, although (depending on the amount of slope) a heavy mulch could help get rid of the "weeds" without stopping the Daffodils from growing.

o

It's not very steep and has underlying rock so I'm not worried about erosion. It's just that the grass gets unsightly and you can't mow it by then as there will be damage to either the daffs or the daylilies. Is mulch my only option, then? My experience has been that any digging I have done to remove weeds and grass seems to cause an explosion of new unwanted seedlings as weed seeds are exposed to light and germinate.

o

Can you use a weedeater to cut the weedy stuff down. You may be much older by the time the daylilies take over unless you used the common type as they do expand but over time.

o

Erosion of soil should be a concern of everyone since any bare soil will erode. What type of grass is there? What could replace that grass to help hold the soil in place?

o

It's your pasture variety grass--a mix of whatever is in adjacent fields, including weeds.

Sure, I understand about erosion and I can put something(s) else in as a groundcover once I take care of ridding the area of these perennial grasses.

Still, other than the weedeater suggestion, no one has posted any recommendations on how to deal with a weedy bed once it has been planted.

o

Move your daylillies temporarily. Wait until later in the summer after the daffodils have died down the the year, then spray it out with glyphosate (Roundup). Then you can move your daylillies back after the grasses have all died. It may take a second treatment on the grass. You will have some continuing control of the grasses, but most should be gone and a good mulch or other groundcover will deter them from coming back.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Weeds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here