Return to the Weeds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Thick Polyester Fabric as WEED Mat/Cover?

Posted by montanna 4b (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 18, 09 at 17:36

I am a seamstress and have lots of extra polyester fabric.
I was wondering if this could be used as a weed mat/cover.
I have different thicknesses too.
All my weeds were pulled last year before the snow came so there are no huge weeds to contend with.
So what do ya'll think?
Montanna

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Thick Polyester Fabric as WEED Mat/Cover?

That would work, but because it lasts almost forever you could regret using it at some future date. This is kind of like the landscape fabrics, some that were laid down 15 years ago are now showing up on the surface as small bits an pieces that need to be picked up and disposed of.

o

two options: agree with kimmsr: only if you want to remove it at a later date in little shreds of fabric 'everywhere'. however, if you lay down thick newspaper, and put a layer of thick fabric over it, all the weed seeds and new weeds can be "peeled off" and a new piece of fabric laid down. The problem is that a huge amount of weeds come in from surface dirt and wind. they make a new home on top. Example: I have a patch I'm saving for new roses this year; last spring I weeded, laid down newspaper, covered in landscape fabric, weighted down and covered with bark chips. This spring it is thickly covered in grass and weeds, but I know I can peel it back and have nice fresh earth to plant my roses in. I think if it were regular fabric I'd probably have a mess. Experiment with a patch?

o

Thanks for the advice!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Weeds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here