Thanks to all, Ssummary, and plants 13 and 14

derangedhermit
12 years ago

Summary:

#1 may be wild carrot "Queen Anne's lace", Daucus carota

#2 an Oxalis

#3 not a clover, ID ?

#4 small flat plant, ID ?

#5 likely leucanthemum, shasta daisy. The purple plant in the background is Ajuga reptans, a ground cover with blue flowers.

#6 small flat plant, ID ?

#7 seedlings, will wait to ID. May be thistle family.

#8 a chick weed, possibly Stellaria media

#9 an Umbelifer, or wild carrot (Queen Anne's lace)

#10 maybe a ratty petunia

#11 an ornamental creeping phlox, Phlox subulata

#12 not a clover, ID ?

The phlox is not doing well at all. I will likely move it to where there is more sun.Thank you for each answer so far. It helps me make a plan of action:

- Follow leads here to make positive IDs when I can

- Pull all the Oxalis now, before it seeds, in the knowledge that it will return this fall, if not sooner, for winter decoration. It's said to be edible, maybe we will make a salad:)

- Pull the wild carrot, it is listed by the USDA as a noxious weed.

- Pull all the little flat plants, they seem to be invaders.

- Wait on the other unidentified plants and the seedlings until they can be identified.

Now for the last two plants. #13, quarter on ground behind, maybe 15 inches tall. More wild carrot, about to bloom?

{{gwi:1340793}}

{{gwi:1340794}}

Thanks again for all the help!

Comments (6)

• Beeone
    12 years ago

The last picture looks a lot like dock starting to bolt.

• derangedhermit
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm sorry, google isn't helping much on "dock weed bolt". Would you be so kind as to provide a little more info? Please remember I am a raw beginner trying to renew a 40-year-old garden, of recent neglegt due to owner's failing health. I am taking notes, so as to be more self-sufficient in the future.

On the progress side, I removed perhaps 120 pounds of weeds today from the back garden. The henbit is gone, the Oxalis is gone (for now), the chickweed is gone, the wild carrot is gone. I uncovered hostas, coneflowers, and other to-be-identified desireables (as they grow and bloom). I have one more bed to go through tomorrow, weeding and mulching.

A setback is I found the old photinia I hav been rejuvenating have the fungus common to them, so I have to start a regular spraying program.

• derangedhermit
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm sorry, google isn't helping much on "dock weed bolt". Would you be so kind as to provide a little more info? Please remember I am a raw beginner trying to renew a 40-year-old garden, of recent neglegt due to owner's failing health. I am taking notes, so as to be more self-sufficient in the future.

On the progress side, I removed perhaps 120 pounds of weeds today from the back garden. The henbit is gone, the Oxalis is gone (for now), the chickweed is gone, the wild carrot is gone. I uncovered hostas, coneflowers, and other to-be-identified desireables (as they grow and bloom). I have one more bed to go through tomorrow, weeding and mulching.

A setback is I found the old photinia I hav been rejuvenating have the fungus common to them, so I have to start a regular spraying program.

• hortster
    12 years ago

"Bolt" means that a plant is sending up a flowering stem; quite technically, to produce flowers or seeds prematurely. Dock refers to one of the many species in the genus Rumex.
    hortster

• ralleia
    12 years ago

#13 is the same plant as #1. It's really looking like love in a mist (nigella) to me.

I know that I've seen #14, but I can't recollect what it ends up looking like. It doesn't look like dock to me, or at least not the kind of dock that grows here. Ours is more massive.

• ralleia
    12 years ago

I think beeone is correct about #14 and it's curly dock.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022