Return to the Weeds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wild Briar Removal Help

Posted by carota18 none (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 28, 14 at 22:51

I am thrilled I finally identified this plant that has been torturing me. I have typed every description that I could think of into the search engine since October and was never able to find anything that looked remotely like it, but now I am 99.9% sure that it is wild briar. I basically moved into weed infested land and concentrated on other areas of the property first, but my main goal for this winter was to figure out what it is so I can wage war against it in the spring. Does anyone have any tips on getting rid of this? I like to avoid any kind of chemicals as much as possible. I'd much rather work 100 hours than spray anything, but am not all out opposed if that is the only option. Open to any suggestions. Thanks a lot for any help

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wild Briar Removal Help

Start digging and don't stop until you're done.
Then watch for re-sprouts (from missed roots) and remove promptly.

o

This photo is exactly what I'm talking about" the site I saw it on said it is wild briar, so that's where I got the name, which I'm not exactly sure on, but this is definitely the red thorny stem I have

o

Management without chemicals means that you must dig & repeat as needed.

o

Wild briar is a generic description of a number of wild vine and thorny plants. There are a couple of methods of control depending on how quickly you want that. Mowing the area repeatedly, a slow and long term method, will eventually cause this plant to die out, probably.
Or digging, as Jean suggested, could be a quicker method. Another method could involve smothering. cutting the plants down pretty short, covering with a light impervious material (cardboard, newspaper, etc.) and covering that with something to hold it in place such as wood chips or shredded leaves, or what ever else might be handy and free.

o

Thanks so much for the help:) So I guess I don't know exactly what it is...

o

If you post a picture in the Name That Plant Forum, especially if you can get one with leaves, someone can id it for you. Could be a raspberry, blackberry, rose or several other thorny vines, as kimmsr said.

Here is a link that might be useful: Name That Plant

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Weeds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here