Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pixeleen

Name that (incredibly prolific) winter weed?

dixieh
16 years ago

I've noticed this particular blend of photosynthetic vermin making itself quite at home in my centipede and St. Augustine grass over the past couple of winters..

This winter though, it has proliferated into a monster....so I wouldn't necessarily mind it if someone could help me figure out what it is and what I can do to put the brakes on its regeneration..

Here is a pic:

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg4/the_nightfly001/Lawn%20and%20Turf/winter_weed_001.jpg

I've been looking for ID for this weed in a few places already, however I have yet to come across a photo which positively ID's this stuff..

I live in south Alabama and figured that I would be able to find it on this page:

http://www.aces.edu/pubs/docs/A/ANR-1128/

However, I don't see a match for the weed pics listed at the bottom of the page..

It does seem to have 1 defining characteristic though...some of it seems to produce lavender colored flower-tops..

So,...exactly what is this stuff?

Thanks to all who reply!

Comments (4)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    16 years ago

Check Narrow leaf vetch to see if it's a match.

• jean001
    16 years ago

Looks like you have far more vetch than lawn.

Further, all those seed pods are bad news. Once they burst, they'll release *lots* of seed.

• dixieh
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I looked for a pic of the dreaded vetch and it certainly does bear a striking resemblance to the stuff that's currently taking over sections of my grass..

Now to look for the best way to eradicate it!

Once again, thanks to rhizo_1 and jean001 for the assistance!

• Beeone
    16 years ago

If it is in a lawn area, mowing it will help control seed production. It should be an annual, so it needs seed production to come back next yet--stop the seeds, stop the infestation. Also, if you get a good growth of grass, it will choke out the seedlings and help control the plant.

You could also spray it with glyphosate, or if in a lawn, spray with 2,4-D or a weed & feed product/turfgrass herbicide.

All isn't bad with this plant, though. It is a legume and fixes nitrogen.

Good luck!

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting