Return to the Weeds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is this plant/weed growing in winter?

Posted by rikky NJ (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 9, 08 at 11:45

had a new lawn planted last september and the grass came up great. starting around early february these plants or weeds or whatever they are started sprouting up all over my lawn. i'm not sure if its a broadleaf weed or something in the ivy family but i've been to 2 garden centers and no one knows what it is. any ideas here and how to treat it its taking over my lawn worse than crabgrass! thanks.

Pictures
http://www.flickr.com/photos/32002376@N00/2320554925/

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is this plant/weed growing in winter?

I'm not sure of the ID....kinda looks familiar, tho.

Here is a link that might be useful: Unknown weed

o

Looks to me like Marsh Marigold. I have some growing here and there in my yard and they make a beautiful early spring flower display. Leave them in and see if they bloom. As delicate as they look, they are actually quite hardy and vigorous, although I wouldn't say invasive. They will spread slowly, but I think if I wanted to get rid of them, it would be easy.

http://www.ct-botanical-society.org/galleries/calthapalu.html

o

it's called 'false celadine' 'marsh buttercup' around here... and it's pretty, but really, really invasive, designated a noxious weed around PA, and is threatening the native population of mandrake, and several of the rarer wet-footed wildflowers in the region.

in your lawn? that's a tough one, since the 'cures' are aggressively digging them up, then digging up the shoots...and smothering them under newsprint mulch, which would not work in a lawn.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Weeds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here