Return to the Weeds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Weed/Vine Identification

Posted by Jacar3 North Texas (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 26, 12 at 12:16

I would like to see if anyone can identify this vine that is taking over my flower beds. The vine grows up through shrubs, bushes, and even makes like a matte over the flowers. I have tried several times to pull them out but they break before the roots come out of the ground.

Thanks for your help.

Jac

Image link: Weed/Vine Identification (60 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Weed/Vine Identification

Looks like one of the bindweeds, likely field bindweed, Convolvulus arvensis. Whichever it is will be tough to control either with hoeing/pulling or herbicides because of their incredibly deep root systems. Also, seeds can remain viable in the soil for decades, so if you can prevent it from flowering it will limit the spread. Unyeilding tenacity is the only answer!
hortster

o

Here are some better pictures. I forgot to mention that I have not seen any type of flowers on this.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/33021253@N06/6872312870/in/photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/33021253@N06/6872312766/in/photostream/

o

I'll still go with bindweed. Indigenous to the entire USA and Canada. There's a reason!
hortster

o

Agreed, there are several types of vines that look almost exactly alike. Juvenile leaves can vary significantly from adult leaves, and flowers can be the same color as the leaves, rendering them virtually invisible.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Weeds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here