Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bankerjohn

Weed or Flower?

bankerjohn
16 years ago

I recently moved from FL to NC, and in my new home I have quite a lot of planting beds around the perimeter of the house. My problem is, there are several "patches" of two different plants that I can't identify (distinguish between weed and flower)!

Here are pictures of both ... can anyone help in their identification?

{{gwi:155163}}

Comments (5)

• naturegirl_2007 5B SW Michigan
    16 years ago

The first plant looks like some type of ajuga (bugleweed) Several varieties are sold as groundcover. Mine flowers in late spring/early summer. It can spread quickly, but I don't consider it an invasive....perhaps others do and would go with the bugleWEED name and rip it out.

I don't know what the second plant is.

• bankerjohn
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Having looked at several pictures on the internet, I believe you are correct about the first plant ... a variety of bugleweed.

Can anyone help me identify the second plant?

• naturegirl_2007 5B SW Michigan
    16 years ago

You may want to try the Name this Plant forum. It is more active than this one. They are good with weeds and non-weeds. I've learned alot over there. Yours looks like it could well be a non-weed that someone will quickly ID there.

• bankerjohn
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the tip ... I'll post on that thread too!

• hardin
    16 years ago

As stated the first picture is Ajuga. I grow them as a groundcover and they are pretty. If they get out of hand, they are easy to control in Oklahoma. The other has stumped me, but it resembles some type of dianthus, or a pincushion flower. Some are hard to tell.

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations