Return to the Weeds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Round up Won't Kill Grass? Help!

Posted by aquarian1228 texas(dfw), 7b (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 8, 08 at 12:59

Hi! I've been lurking here for the past year or so since we we bought our first house. I've learned so much from you all.
Our entire lawn is covered with weeds (has been since we bought the house), and if we don't do something now, our neighbors are going to flip. We are getting desperate.

I can't seem to find the answer to this question anywhere.
My DH and I are at our wits end with the weeds in our lawn. He's tried to spray two different chemicals two times, with no real results (except the weeds look watered).

Right now our weeds are aliving and thriving. Our grass is brown and dead. The home depo dude says that we can safely spray round up, kill the weeds now, and then the grass will come up in the spring. Does anyone know if this is true?

DH is planning spray tomorrow... I called the scott's folks, and they are not open today due to bad weather. I'm getting kind of desperate! xposted in lawn care/texas gardening.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Round up Won't Kill Grass? Help!

The glyphosate products might kill actively growing weeds, and any other plant it contacts since it is a plant killer. Do not ever accept any advice about gardening from anyone employed by one of the big box stores because they have certain materials the store wants sold that they push, good, bad, or indifferent advice, but I have found very few that really know what they are talking about.
Contact your local office of the Texas A & M USDA Cooperative Extension Service and ask for their help in 1)identifying which "weeds" you have, and 2) what is the most appropriate material, or method, to use to control them.
This link, about natural lawn care is from Ohio State University but most of what is there can also be applied in Texas.

Here is a link that might be useful: Natural Lawn Care

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Weeds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here