Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
angelajgood

Weed similar to Star of Bethlehem

angelajgood
16 years ago

I have something that is similar to Star of Bethlehem taking over my yard. It looks very similar, but the leaves are not flat with the midrib stripe. They are round like garlic or chives, but do not have an onion smell to them at all. It flowers in the spring and the flowers are similar, but they are 'fatter' and more round, I believe. Since it is not flowering now, I am just going by my memory of these in the past.

When we bought the house the back yard was a mess. It consisted of mostly dirt and a large amount of asphalt. Last year we landscaped and now have 2 areas of sod, beds, raised pond, and a patio. This was there before, but I had no idea that it would show back up with such a vengeance, if at all.

It is even where the asphalt was and that area was scraped out and topsoil, etc was added. Most of that area is now sod. We finished the landscaping at the end of the summer last year and within a short period of time had spots of it here and there. We tried to weed it out, but it quickly took over. This winter it has really taken over. We have one strip of sod that is almost completely covered.

When I have dug some of it up, there are tons of tiny bulbs. I am afraid that I am facing an impossible situation, but there has to be something that I can do to at least discourage its growth. I am very new to gardening and I really enjoyed working in the yard after we got rid of the asphalt and bare dirt and could not wait until this spring. Now I want to cry every time I look in the back yard. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Comment (1)