Return to the Weeds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Crazy creeping weed

Posted by kelkolkat 8 (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 1, 14 at 14:08

This weed has made its way all over my yard and in all my flower beds. Does anyone know what it is and how to get rid of it? It does make some small white flowers but has tiny creeping vanes that dig down in the ground..

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Crazy creeping weed

It appears to be chickweed but I can't be certain without improved focus. Any chance of that?

If so, easiest to manage if you get them when very young, thus, very small. And definitely before they set seed!

o

That does look like one of the chickweeds, very prolific winter annuals. The best means of control is to carefully pull the plants out being sure to not leave any bits of stem behind since they can reroot. The time between germination and seed production of these plants is quite short and they do produce very large quantities of seed that can remain viable in the soil for many years.

Here is a link that might be useful: Chickweed control

o

Here is another picture of it.. Chick weed sounds familiar. I do try to pick them as soon as possible but it doesn't seem to help, they're everywhere!!!

o

Yup, chickweed.

And yes, you must get after them as soon as you see them.

You have "so many" because you have many years worth of seeds that have yet to sprout.

The seedlings are really easy to deal with in a garden bed -- use a rake, hoe, or scuffle hoe. As soon as you see them. Repeat as needed, over and over and over.

Be passionately persistent and you will win.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Sun, Mar 2, 14 at 12:45

Can be used in salads. Comes up where there is a lot of organic material in the soil.

o

Thanks everyone!! I think it got so much worse over the winter since we weren't out to keep up with it.. It's even in our grass! Hopefully, it will start warming up and I can get control.

o

Like I posted in the chart here: http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/weeds/msg031750119905.html

Definately mouse ear chickweed!

Here is a link that might be useful: Common Weeds

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Weeds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here