Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
desertdance

bindweed aka wild morning glory aka convulvulous

We bought this new property and slowly but surely this horribly invasive vine with white flowers has appeared all over 1.4 acres and is climbing up healthy fruit trees!!

I have pulled it up, but it's roots are connected like mint! YIKES!!

I searched this forum, and didn't find it immediately, so I googled it, and if you have it, this is a fabulous answer that I found on yahoo:

"Ok - what you have is Convolvulus, sometimes known as Bindweed and closely related to Morning Glory. It spreads by seed, by suckering (rooting where a stem touched the ground) and by root spread underground) if you dig it up or pull it our, the roots left behind simply regrow. It is perennial and a COMPLETE PEST.

Ashridge Trees is a mail order nursery (we grow and/or sell
about 2 million plants a year) so we bump into bindweed a lot. We use the following techniques:

1. If it is all by itself, we spray it with a Glyphos based weedkiller - like Roundup - just follow the instructions but be prepared to do it at least twice.

2. Where we need to keep the ground organic, we cover it with lightproof black plastic, carpet underlay or cardboard. No plant can live without light. Black plastic is best as it also absorbes the heat of the sun and bakes the weeds.

3. If the bindweed is in among other plants, use the same weedkiller as in 1 above BUT - mix up small quantities diluted with TWICE as much water as the instructions on the bottle. Put the solution in jam jars and then put these around your flower beds. Put the growing tips of the bindweed into the jars. The tips will absorb the poison slowly. Because it is week the plant lives long enough for the weedkiller to travels through the plant and through its root system, killing as it goes. Slow, effective and very satisfying...."

I like the last remedy, and am going to try it! The stuff is everywhere, and I'd love to watch it slowly die.

Suzi

Comments (9)

• jean001a
    11 years ago

getting rid of the stuff will require time and persistence because of the persistent and extensive root system -- plan on a minimum of several years.

• Kimmsr
    11 years ago

There are many reports that wild Morning Glory is resistant to the glyphosate "weed" killers, so they are probably not the best method of control.
    Covering the above ground parts of this plant can, over time, cause the roots to eventually die providing new growth does not get access to sunlight. Plastic, made from non renewable resources is not the best material to use to suppress any plant growth. In addition plastic will stop air exchange in the soil and can cause that soil to become anaerobic.
    The same mechanism in the plant that stops the movement of the "weed" killer will also be at work if a leaf is put in a jar of the stuff. Diluting the poison only serves to allow the plant to develop immunities faster.

• bstnh1
    10 years ago

Roundup and its generics work well on this stuff. But it's still a battle. I've 100% killed patches only to find it's back the following year, apparently from seeds that dropped. Pulling it out is a total waste of time - it has a root system like a hairnet.

• runswithscissors
    10 years ago

Roundup works on it only if you can spray the whole plant...which is hard to do when it's intermingled with lawn and around desirable plants. If you just spray the crown, it will only damage the plant; not kill it. (adage applies: what doesn't kill it, makes it stronger.) If you grab all the vines and pull them all into a strip, and spray that strip, making sure every leaf is dripping wet; it works. But who can do all this when you have 50 million of them growing everywhere.

I prefer to use Weed-B-Gone, as it works too, but you have to use the same idea. You can't just spray the crown, you have to spray down the vines and all over the leaves. At least weed-b-gone doesn't kill the lawn grass, tho.

(ps under no circumstances, let it go to seed. Each seed is incredibly viable. The only redeeming quality the plant has is its cute, little flowers....but you must force yourself to keep them plucked off.)

• hortster
    10 years ago

Frippin' bindweed seeds remain viable for 20 years or more, so, NO FLOWERS as runswithscissors (a fun moniker, albeit somewhat masochistic) says.

And, like bstnh1 says, Pulling it IS a waste of time.

The bottom line: TENACITY. Ya gotta stay on it for a couple or three years, glyphosate or Weed B Gon or whatever - ya gotta stay on it! Every little re-growing spot or germination. Bindweed = obsessive-compulsive tenacity!

It took me 4 years to get it eliminated from my yard, but several years later it still remains absent.

O/C hortster

• Kimmsr
    10 years ago

I have eliminated Bindweed from several planting beds without spending any money on plant poisons simply by removing any and all roots and plant bits and pieces. That did not take me 4 years of trying either.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

You did that on an acre and a half, Kim?

• Kimmsr
    10 years ago

I did, but not in one day, or week, or month. Now if I could train the birds to not eat the seeds of Sheep Sorrel, Creeping Charlie, Henbit, etc. life would be much easier.

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH