Return to the Weeds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please Help Identifying

Posted by comp1mp 8 (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 17, 14 at 17:22

This will be the first time I will be actively taking care of my lawn. I am in Oklahoma City and my Bermuda is still dormant.

Here is a picture of what I think is a weed.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please Help Identifying

Henbit. If you use a herbicide on it, be sure to use one that is compatible with Bermuda. DO NOT let it go to purple bloom or it is to late to treat.

hortster

o

Henbit is an annual.
Depending upon how much you have, it is easy to remove by hand before it blooms.

o

Henbit is a winter annual unwanted plant that can grow fairly prolifically in lawns early in the year and the simplest means of control is hand removal.

Here is a link that might be useful: About henbit

o

Thanks all of you!

o

Or you could just enjoy the pretty flowers, and/or mow it, and not worry about it. The pic below is not my yard, but shows a lovely patch of this plant. It will be gone by mid-summer, whether anybody does anything or not, whether it gets mowed or not. The grass is still dormant. If this plant was not there, (and some clover,) this area would be a patch of just brown, crispy, dormant grass.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Weeds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here