Return to the Weeds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What kind of weed is this?

Posted by a2ron none (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 18, 13 at 17:56

I live in the desert and wondering what kind of weed this was? and how to easily remove them. The big rocks just make these weeds harder to get rid of.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What kind of weed is this?

a closer pic

o

Not sure what grass it is, although has some resemblance to downy brome, but it could be a form of blue grass. In any case, it looks like an annual. Probably germinates in the late fall, then takes off early in the spring and sets seed, maturing and dying by summer. As an annual, it reproduces by seed, so preventing seed will cause it to decrease in quantity from year to year as you work the seed supply out of the soil.

If the bed it is growing in is all rocks, you could work/move everything around in the fall (till without tilling the rocks under) to kill the seedlings while they are small and easy to kill, or cover with cardboard or black plastic to starve them of light. Additionally, glyphosate or the common grass killers found in the garden section of your favorite store should take care of the grass, but it will be easiest to kill using whatever method you want in the fall. In the spring when it starts putting out seed heads it will be less susceptible to herbicides and harder/more time consuming to kill with other methods.

o

Doing some research online I think it's a type of foxtail weed. I've heard also heard that the burrs at the top are a problem for dogs. I think all I can do to kill them is a weed killer spray.

o

I don't know what it is but it is definitely a grass so you would need to get a grass killer. Broad leaf weedkillers won't hurt it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Weeds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here