Return to the Weeds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Holly, red bud and such.

Posted by larrylwill 7 (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 26, 13 at 19:18

We bought a house that the previous owners planted red bud, holly, juniper and other bushes around the house. Year after year we trimmed them to size, now they have trunks as big as my arm or leg. If left alone they would grow 10ft high. I want them gone. I tried to pull them out when the ground was saturated and kept breaking the cable or the car wheels would slip. So I cut them all off at the base with a chain saw but the red bids are spreading like weeds, little clumps of them. How can I kill these bushes for good. We want to plant some small colorful bushes in front of the house. So I have to dig the roots up?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Holly, red bud and such.

Comment on the redbuds and junipers:
The junipers should be dead if you cut them off at the ground. Probably want to remove the stumps by digging - they are usually shallow rooted (but sometimes tenaciously!).
As for the redbuds, I had some two year seedlings of C. reniformis (Oklahoma redbud) that were in the perennial garden and I decided that I didn't need more than the original plant in my yard, so I cut them off at the ground. I did so for a season and a half but they continued to return. Finally, after that long attempt, in the FALL nearing dormancy but still with green foliage I once again cut off the 6" suckers and this time,using a small artists' paint brush, lightly dapped them with a mixture of 50% 3-way broadleaf weed killer and 50% glysophate. Minimal chemical application with terminus of problem. Timing, I believe, was key.
hortster

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Weeds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here