Return to the Weeds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Don't know if this was a weed or not -Please help!

Posted by onlyme356 CA (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 21, 09 at 21:11

Today I finally made the decision to remove a bunch of plants (actually my boyfriend did it) that I thought may be a type of weed. I don't know much about gardening, but I didn't like the way this plant looked and it was always wrapping itself around everything mostly the roses the were beside it. They had tiny little thorns,(or at least something like that) which cut me at one point. They recently grew some small little purple "berries" that would hang off of it. I smashed one in my fingers and it didn't smell sweet , but was VERRYY sticky. It was bushy and resembles some type of fern- Please excuse my ignorance about plants! Anyway can anyone tell me something about these plants. I still have them in a bag right now and will probbaly replant a few if it turns out I made a huge mistake. Thanks!

(please view "plant link for photo with "berries")

Here is a link that might be useful: Plant Link

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Don't know if this was a weed or not -Please help!

Here are the pics, please help..

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

Looks kind of like some form of juniper...
Juniper can be a groundcover or small tree; it's good for wildlife shelter and food. I'd plant it somewhere else.

Abby

Here is a link that might be useful: one type of juniper

o

• Posted by jayk 8b (My Page) on
    Sun, Mar 22, 09 at 23:13

You have an asparagus...Asparagus plumosus.

o

Whether what you have is a "weed" or not depends on whether you want it to grow there or not. A "weed" is merely a plant growing where we do not want it to grow.
The simplest means to eliminate this "Asparagus plumosus" is to dig out all of the roots you can and then keep any new growth clipped off so any roots left will eventually starve to death.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Weeds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here