Return to the Weeds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bulb Weed

Posted by sarcare UT z6 (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 14, 10 at 23:42

I moved into my house last June, and totally tore up the backyard in September and October. This spring I am finding tons of these weeds pop up everywhere. They shot out long green grass like leaves and have no flowers. They do not smell like onions or garlic, and they proliferate, with teeny tiny bulbs as well as big ones. Before we tilled the backyard, I sprayed roundup and tried to pull out what weeds I could. This bulb is invasive, it managed to get through layers of newspaper, through newly laid sod (not just through the cracks, and even lived under cardboard.

Now, I'm pretty sure the only way to deal with this noxious discovery is through hand pulling the bulbs out. But, I'd like to know the name of my nemesis. My dad says it is grape hyacinth, but there are no flowers nor sign of flowers. My googling says Star of Bethlehem is an option, but my dad says he's never heard of it growing in Utah. The main reason for my concern over which it is, is that the Star of Bethlehem is toxic to dogs, and my dogs are always out there, and one likes to eat things she shouldn't.

How can I tell the two apart? How can I get it out of the sod without damaging it? And any ideas on how to get rid of it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bulb Weed

As you have discovered that glyphosate product is not quite as effective as the ads tell you. To find out what you do have take some samples into the county office of your Utah State University Cooperative Extension Service where they most likely will be able to properly identify what you have and advise you on the best way to control it.

Here is a link that might be useful: USU CES

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Weeds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here