Return to the Weeds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
newbie question: hoeing

Posted by lalala 6 (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 3, 09 at 0:19

This seems so basic, but I'll ask anyway. I put down a nice layer of fine bark mulch around the shrubs and perennials in my garden in the fall. Now I'm getting the beginnings of weeds springing up, including hundreds of tiny maple shoots. I have read that the easiest non-chemical way to get rid of weeds is to hoe them up while they're still tender in early spring. So: do I rake the mulch aside or can I hoe right through it? I don't want to mix the mulch into the soil and ruin its purpose. But I also don't want to give myself unnecessary labor.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: newbie question: hoeing

Slide the hoe under the mulch and pull toward you just skim the surface of the soil. With practice the mulch will separated with the hoes passage and then can be straighted.

Most people use the hoe as a chopping instrument but it is really supposed to be used to cut the plants off at or just below the surface. Cutting at that depth will not stir up as many old seeds as cutting deeper.

It may be easier to just pull the shoots after a rainy day. Sit on a piece of cardboard and start pulling.

I let my oak seedling so too long so now I have a mess.

o
RE: newbie question: hoeing

Thanks! That's very helpful. I will probably do a mix of pulling and hoeing.

The maple really seemed to go crazy this year--I can't believe how many shoots there are, all through the lawn and gardens!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Weeds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here