Return to the Weeds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is it a weed? How do I get rid of it?

Posted by gabos MA (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 21, 10 at 7:57

I moved into to my current home last July. There is a tree in one corner of my front yard and no grass beneath it for a radius of about 5 feet around it. Rest of my yard has grass. Now i see many plants sprouting around the tree. I did not see these last year. Are these weeds? How do I get rid of it? Will using weed killers destroy the tree? Please see attached image

Image link: Is it a weed? How do I get rid of it? (57 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is it a weed? How do I get rid of it?

That looks like Lily of the Valley, "Convallaria majalis", and is considered by some as a good ground cover but by others as a noxious "weed".
That there is no grass growing under the tree indicates the conditions there are not the type of conditions that grass can grow in. The soil may be compacted, lack organic matter, not get enough sun, and may be too damp to allow grass plants to grow.
Lily of the Valley is extremely difficult to eradicate just by spraying some kind of plant poison around. Change the soil conditions, and dig out all of the rhizomes that produce the plants, and find a grass that can grow in the shady conditions the tree provides.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lily of the Valley

o

Thanks kimmsr for this very useful information.

o

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 21, 10 at 21:00

Grass that grows and is healthy in the shade of a tree is a pie-in-the-sky dream. Doesn't exist. Not even the so-called shade-tolerant grasses.

That's likely why the previous owner allowed the lily-of-the-valley to remain. At least it was green much of the year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Weeds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here