Return to the Weeds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When I spray atrazine again?

Posted by Gardendummie none (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 7, 12 at 8:16

I have St. Augustine grass. I also have weeds intruding my beautiful yard. Such as, annual bluegrass, clover, etc.

Three weeks ago I sprayed atrazine. It really did a GREAT job. Can I spray again for some of the pesty weeds that didn't get zapped? Or is it too early?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When I spray atrazine again?

Atrazine is a well known pollutor of our drinking water and is suspected as a Carcinogen and Endocrine disruptor, why would someone want to use it?
If you do not care that you are polluting the water yuou drink you could respray, but there are other, less expensive, less polluting, more environmentally friendly products out there to use.

o

I agree with you , kimmsr. Big problem here in KS. However, you might offer Gardendummie some alternatives. I'd be interested in seeing what those might be.
hortster

o

Rather than treating the symptom of a problem, the "weeds", find out why they are growing there, correct the conditions that promote or allow them to grow, soil pH and nutrient availability, and do what is necessary to grow a strong and healthy turf that will discourage "weed" growth.
Spraying poisons around is making the world our grandchildren will be living in hazardous to their health.

o

There are other products much less offensive than atrazine. I know that you likely will not go into the detail that kimmsr suggests. I suggest that you go online and research the options. My only thought is that you should use the minimum to maintain your goals. I believe that "less is more" but that "less" doesn't mean "nothing."
hortster

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Weeds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here