Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beautifulboy_gw

barrier to keep weeds out during restoration?

beautifulboy
14 years ago

I am currently working to rescue the perrenial plants in the garden from a plague of invasive weeds. These weeds are spreading like wildfire in our garden - that was not tended for about two-plus years. It's April and the garden is already covered! I'm sorry that I don't have a picture to identify the weeds - I have to get this together and it will be another post. The weeds are a long network of roots underground and so have to be dug up carefully to make sure that every part is removed.

The question I'm asking here.....

I have completely dug up one section of the garden (one side of the path), pulled our weeds and perrenial plants that are too close to one another in preparation for new plants one day soon (once I see where the sun goes in that part of the garden as the seasons change, etc...). After all of the digging I replaced the soil with compost, dirt and then mulched about 2" on top. I would like to stop the weeds from the other side of the path from spreading to this renewed spot. How do professionals do this? Should I use that plastic garden edging (they go down into the soil so I assume they might help stop roots from crawling over) as a barrier? Or is there another method?

Thanks in advance

: )

Comment (1)