Return to the Weeds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
killing weeds with newspaper

Posted by just_asking z7 NC (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 28, 06 at 9:34

last fall I planted several bushes in a natural area and then put down about 3" of triple-shredded hardwood mulch.

Today there are so many weeds in that area, I can barely see the bushes. I can't pull that many weeds.....it would take forever not mention my back can't take that any more.

I was thinking of removing the mulch, putting down a few layers of newspaper and then putting new mulch back down.
As the newspaper breaks down, will it hurt the bushes? I wouldn't thinks so, but I wanted to make sure.

Also, are different mulches better than others to help prevent weeds? Obviously I will get weeds, but I want as little as possible:-)

Thanks in advance for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: killing weeds with newspaper

Yes, do what you said regarding the newspaper. In areas where I did it that way are my most weed free beds. Make sure to keep the paper wet before covering it back up with the wood mulch. Wetting keeps it in place better and begins the decomposition faster.

o
RE: killing weeds with newspaper

Use SEVERAL layers of newspapers, not just a few. This technique can be very useful. I know of no mulch that will prevent weed seed germination, if that is what you are asking.

What are the weeds that you seem to be bothered with, mostly?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Weeds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here