Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jostus

Very glossy dark purple corrugated leaves

Florida_Joe's_Z10a
12 years ago

I am trying to identify a "weed" which sprouted in my yard last year. I thought it was absouloutly gorgeous and so allowed it to grow to maturity and collected seed in autumn when it bloomed. It's leaves are very glossy ,almost waxy, dark purplish-black in appearance, highly corrugated , and with undulated margins. They expand to about 3inches in diameter. The plant grow to about one and a half to two feet in height and was very well branched. It didn't bloom until very late in the season. I think October but it quickly set seed, which weren't enclosed in an ovary, just in the empty calyxes. The flowers were very small( almost inconspicuous). They grow in small spikes, were short lived,, and were of a dark pink color. Soon after blooming it's leaves turned a pink orange color and the plant dried up. I have seen this plant growing in small colonies, in full sun, in the untended gardens of neighbors so it readily self sows. When I went to sow the seeds in a pot today, I noticed the dryed flower/seed spikes had a very potent and very pleasant scent... Almost like a mix between oregano and anise or fennel. What could this plant be?!

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Columbus Premier Design-Build and General Contractor