Return to the Weeds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pruning Jimsonweed

Posted by saminsane 9 (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 4, 08 at 10:25

My Datura Stamonium is in desperate need of pruning attention but I've never taken it on to the extent of removing so much in the way of branches. I would like to know the best way to do it without hurting it. I love, love, love this jimsonweed and have seen it grow to over 5 foot and be so full and bloom like crazy. Now while the rest of my garden begins to "spring" forth, my jimsonweed looks barren and sad. I don't want to kill it, I don't want to cut it, but I do want to save it. I know about cutting off the buds and old stuff, but not full branches and I can't find anything on the web except about it's toxic and drug properties. So please, refrain from explaining it to me all again. I just want her beautiful again. Any help, please? Thank you.

Image link: Pruning Jimsonweed (14 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pruning Jimsonweed

In most areas jimpsonweed is an annual. You probably need to purchase a new plant.

o

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 6, 08 at 15:12

Since it's not really a weed you are asking about, you might get limited information here :)

Why don't you try posting in its related forum, Brugmansia - I think you might find people in your zone with pruning experience there.

Here is a link that might be useful: Brugmansia forum

o

Let us know if it is a Brugmansia or Jimson weed.

o

It's Jimsonweed, and this was the only forum that had any Jimsonweed related topics. but thanks, i've already slowly begun the process. I'm not giving up this plant, she has new growth all over her, she's just stunted by the old I think.

o

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 7, 08 at 13:50

If you'd check the Brugs forum, you'd find several datura growers who exchange information there too. Search function the Brugs forum for 'datura', and you'll get 350+ hits. I don't grow it myself so didn't want to advise you, other than suggesting a better place for you to go to find pruning experience :)

o

Most Datura growers grow them as annuals and nobody grows D. stramonium because there are better horticultural types (D. stramonium not one of them) with bigger better flowers and colors to chose from.
BTW If that picture is yours it definately is NOT D. stramonium, based on leaf shape,and color of flower. You have what looks like a form of D. inoxia AKA D. metal...a horticulture type :D

Vera

Here is a link that might be useful: Images_Datura stramonium

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Weeds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here