Return to the Weeds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plant or Weed Identification

Posted by bettyfb (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 7, 10 at 11:01

Photobucket

This is popping up in several places in my yard--weed or plant?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plant or Weed Identification

• Posted by hortster 6A, southcentral KS (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 8, 10 at 22:05

This has an eerie resemblance to osage orange, Maclura pomifera. Alternate foliage, shiny leaves. However, I have this same weed (tree, whatever) popping up in several of my beds here. I thought that it was osage orange. This plant is a common invasive here. But, if you research it says that 1) the wood is yellow and 2) the sap is milky. I know both of these traits to be true from OLDER specimens. After seeing your picture I cut off one of my identical volunteers. No milky sap and had greenish-tan wood. Perhaps it is too young to show the common traits, but sure the heck looks exactly like your post. Confused! Will be interested to see what others say.
hortster

o
RE: Plant or Weed Identification

Thanks Hortster,

I think you are right, it is Osage Orange and I looked it up on Daves Garden and sure looks the same. My neighbor thought it was some sort of tree. Guess I will let one of them grow for fun. I have no milky sap either. Strange, never had this before in my yard.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Weeds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here