Return to the Weeds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Purple Flower Weed??

Posted by iKandyXotics 8 (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 26, 13 at 12:13

Have been searching and searching for a name of this plant , but can't find anything.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Purple Flower Weed??

leaf and stalk

o

Appears to be Verbena bonariensis.

o

A short-lived perennial which seeds profusely. Lovely to watch it swaying in the breeze but be certain to deadhead regularly

o

I have noticed the leaves turn whilte , almost looks like it is dusted with white powder?? Is that normal?

o

Powdery mildew? It could be too wet or too dry (probably too wet), adjust the water and see if that helps.

o

A whiteish dusting on a plants leaves when temperatures are between 60 and 80 degrees F, and most often during dryer weather, could well be Powdery Mildew. Many plant are susceptible, but when conditions are favorable most plant could get it. The spores that become Powdery Mildew are spread around by the winds.
I have found that either a 50/50 mixture of fat free milk and water or 1 teaspoon of baking soda mixed into 1 quart of water will help control this mild plant disease.

o

I don't know about the rest of youall, but powdery mildew is already so prevalent here this year that I dread even planting squash. Normally we don't get a lot of this fungus until much later, but this year even Columbines are showing signs of it. The usual vectors in the environment (the Lamiums like Henbit) are already in decline. And it's only April!

o

I think it is quite pretty for a weed. Sorry I am not any help, just wanted to give my two cents. Good luck.

o

This is one of my favorites; and the skippers in the fall love it too, covering the blooms. I pluck/crush the seed heads in late fall and scatter just throw them all around. The powdery mildew is an eyesore. In my yard/NJ, they don't start their show until the summer.

o

These are blooming here now. One of those "think I saw" flowers. Think I saw something purple... Also see-through, if in front of other plants, you could still see the ones behind. Enough in the wild to satisfy my eyes, no urge to "have" any.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Weeds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here