Return to the Weeds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help me ID any posion ivy/oak/sumac

Posted by chucacabrawow DE (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 7, 13 at 13:17

I have had constant rashes after weed eating/ mowing my lawn. I cannot for the life of me find any poisonous plants around the yard, but am constantly getting new poison ivy rashes from somewhere in the yard.

1. IMG 20130407 123009 473
windows 7 screen shot

2. IMG 20130407 122948 767
upload foto

3. IMG 20130407 123034 136

4. IMG 20130407 123057 206

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help me ID any posion ivy/oak/sumac

#1 appears to be Vinca minor. #2 Might be a euonymus vine (maybe E. f. colorata). #3 appears to be a honeysuckle vine (Lonicera japonica, maybe). #4 is English ivy, Hedra helix. None of them are poision ivy.
Not sure what might be causing your rashes.
hortster

o

Thanks for the help hortster. Maybe i am allergic to something in the yard. Just wish i knew what it was that was causing it!

o

People can have contact dermatitis reactions to many common plants, including Hedera, grape ivy, nightshade, juniper, almost any euphorbia.

It is also possible for detritus from poison ivy/oak to blow into your yard from elsewhere. Contact with the dried leaves or pieces of vine or roots can still cause a rash for an unknown period of time (which is probably because environmental factors speed/slow the breakdown of the urishiol.) One it is on a tool, shoe, glove, your dog, it can pass to you from that also (for an unknown period of time.)

There is no PI in our yard, but finally I decided that my getting a rash was always preceded by handling dead leaves with no sleeves. Wear long sleeves/pants, shower right away after yard work that involves dead leaves, or contacting questionable plants. Wash the clothes before wearing them again, if you don't put them right in the washing machine from your body, wash your hands after you touch them again to put them in the washer.

o

thanks for all the info. I remember the first time i did the lawn, i wore the clothes all day. As a result i had a bad itch all over my body. Since then i have been washes my clothes after doing any yard work. The bumps/itch have gotten less since then. I appreciate all the helpful info.
BTW i know that it's poison ivy because of the bumps! they are always clear filled blisters that turn yellow crust when popped. I used to get it all the time when i was a kid.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Weeds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here