Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brit5467

Is this a weed???

brit5467
12 years ago

This was in with a rosmary plant that was dug up from somewhere and given to me. I separated it and have been saving it....what it is?

The flowers in pic look white but actually have a very, very slight tint of blue or lilac and the 'eye' markings are purple.

THANKS !!

Bonnie

Comments (12)

• jean001a
    12 years ago

a violet. Whether it's a weedy kind or not, perhaps someone else can say.

• brit5467
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Wow! I knew the flower looked like one, but didn't think their leaves were as thick, meaning these are tough leaves.

lus, does a violet overwinter? Since as I said, this was grown up intermingled with Rosemary which was quite old and had been dug up from outdoors, so this had to survive the winters too.

Thank you, tho !!!1

• brit5467
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Think I answered my own question. Just Googled 'wild violet' and looks exactly like this.

So anyone have a take on whether or not to plant it in my garden and let it do it's thing?

• Joe1980
    12 years ago

It makes a good ground cover, and looks great in naturalized areas. It is a plant for the shade. My neighbor where I grew up had a real woodsy lot in the city and there were violets all over.

Joe

• brit5467
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh....thanks, Joe!! Cuz I would've put it out front in full sun. It's been sitting basically in full sun so far (in the new pots) but we've yet to have our scorching summers. But I've got a great spot for it in my side semi-shade bed beside the house.

It is really beautiful, but this is the first time I've seen many so blooms since it was soooo root-bound, stuck in the Rosemary pot.

Glad I saved it. All this time, I really did think it was some sort of 'kudzo' type thing....lol (which it may not look like that....just with regards to being invasive).

Thank goodness for GW. Don't know what I'd do without you guys !!! :)

• Trishcuit
    12 years ago

People tend to enjoy seeing these sweeties popping up in their lawn in the spring. Pretty and fragrant too.

• Kimmsr
    12 years ago

Some people enjoy seeing wild Violet popping up in their lawns while many others go bananas when they do see some. In the lawn wild Violet is difficult to control while in a planting bed it is fairly easy, just pull out any you do not want, but the can be a bit invasive. I have seen people spend a lot of money on "weed" killers to try and control this in the lawn to no avail.

• brit5467
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well, since I've only got mine in pots (so far), I just might experiment with planting, keeping an eye on the invasive aspect. I DO think they're pretty.

• Joe1980
    12 years ago

They're only invasive if you don't like them......

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    12 years ago

Lol! Agree with Joe1980. The folks who don't want these seem to grow them best. This is a native plant. Btit, somewhere between you & me it seems they can't take the heat. Haven't seen any since I moved to AL from OH and the few I tried to bring with me did not make it. I really miss them. They're handy for ringing trees so you don't have to mow close to the trunk. If you're one of those who get upset about non-grass plants in a lawn, you wouldn't like that idea.

• brit5467
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ha ha ha....what's a lawn? I have such a tiny lot, grass is the last thing I worry about....except for under the side tree where I'm desperately trying to grow some so it doesn't stay so muddy.

Will try some of these around tree...but roots are sooo high out of ground (old Bradford pear...ugh) that all I've got there now are some pink Evening Primrose due to shallow root structure.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    12 years ago

That sounds like as good of a place as any for violets. They're really tough, not too picky about moisture (too much or too little) once they get going. Digging under a tree is tough, probably not necessary for violets. They've got a bulb or tuber, not sure scientifically which. If you can scratch out a spot just deep enough to put those under, no need to dig a hole as big a those pots. They'll probably wilt completely flat and look dead but if you keep them moist until they start perking up, that should do it. I like using one of those hand-claw things for scratching through roots. If you want to wait until they finish flowering, you might set the pots under the tree so some seeds can start falling there.

Almost all grass needs at least 6 hours of unshaded sunlight to do well. That's one reason why there's so many flower beds around trees. If you don't like that tree and you stay there long enough, nature will likely remove it for you. Hope this muddy spot isn't near your house. If you cover under the tree with about 4" of finely shredded hardwood mulch, the worms will come and help fix the drainage problem over time (and make it easier to dig holes next year.)

Sponsored
Carl Williamson Designs, LLC
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Nationally Acclaimed Interior Designer | 2x Best of Houzz